Ideas to improve listening
Ideas to improve listening skills
- Preface important information/directions with a long pause and then a prompt i.e. “Eyes on me, this is important”, “You need to know this”, “Get ready I’m giving a direction”.
- Use short direct phrases when giving directions.
- Focus on most essential communications for completing tasks.
- Restate and rephrase information/directions.
- Break down multi-step directions in parts.
- Use checklists to complete more than one task.
- Have your child repeat directions back to you.
- Substitute more concrete vocabulary words for more complex vocabulary words with “or” in the middle i.e. "ahead of" or "in front of".
of visual cues i.e. dry-erase board, take pictures with cell
- Use of reminders i.e. send reminders to cell phones when it's time to do something
- Encourage your child to give you “eye-contact” when you are giving directions.