About The PTO
About The PTO
What does the Spencer PTO do?
Our goal is to create a sense of community within the walls of Spencer Elementary by working together to accomplish common goals. As a Spencer parent, you are automatically a member of the Parent-Teacher Organization. The Spencer PTO is active throughout the entire school year. Together with the teachers and staff, we provide fun, interesting and educational programs and events.
Who can join the PTO?
Every Spencer parent, teacher and staff member is a member of the PTO. You do not have to formally join the organization. Everyone is welcome to attend meetings, make suggestions, volunteer for events, and participate in whatever way works for you. We do not charge dues.
What events does the PTO sponsor?
Why is volunteering important?
- Roadrunner Run - Schoolwide run that the entire school participates in
- Family, Fun Nights - Movie Night, Science Night, Book Bingo, Ice Cream Social bring families and friends together
- Special Interest Day – a day of education and fun built around a central theme
- Recess Run – a month of running during recess
- Teacher/Staff Appreciation Week – a week of events to thank our teachers and staff for all they do
- Spring Carnival and Annual Auction – Fun filled day of carnival games, entertainment, food and a live and silent auction
- Field Day – a full day of outdoor play and games at the end of the school year
PTO participation allows you to be "hands on" with your child's education. Our children love to see us in their environment and there are many events and committees that could use your help!
Whether volunteering on a committee, chairing a committee, engaging in school projects, attending events, fundraising, baking or donating items! We look forward to seeing what we can accomplish in another great year at Spencer Elementary, as the Brighton community continues to work together to enrich the educational experience of every child. The PTO is your opportunity to get involved and keep Spencer the AMAZING school it is!
Where does the PTO's money come from?
Our primary fundraisers are the Roadrunner Run in October and the Spring Carnival and Annual Auction in May. We also earn money from ongoing fundraising programs like Box Tops, Kroger rewards and other passive fundraising efforts. Our goal each year is to raise $30,000 to support all of the programs, events and enrichment activities the PTO sponsors. What we don't spend, we gift back to the school in some form.
What specific things have PTO funds been used to support?
Below is a sampling of things the PTO supported during the 2016-2017 school year.
How do I get involved?The PTO holds meetings throughout the year. All meetings are on the second Tuesday of each month at 4:00. We have offered evening meetings in the past, but no one attends. Everyone is welcome to attend. These meetings are an opportunity for leaders to provide event updates. We discuss requests from teachers to purchase materials or support classroom projects with PTO funds. We discuss ideas for new programs or improvements to past programs. We also hear updates from the school principal. The meeting minutes are available on the Spencer PTO website.
- $200 donation to each teacher for classroom supplies
- GagaPit in the Playground
- Cultural enrichment programs for each grade
- Field trip scholarships
- Student Lego club
- All-school assemblies featuring the musical group Gemini, Wild Swan Theatre and more
- Sponsored the Special Interest Day, Science Night, Field Day and other fun events throughout the year
Where else can I go to find out what's happening?
We work hard to keep you in the loop even if you can't attend the meetings. As events approach information will be sent out about how you can get involved.
- We send paper notices home in students' folders.
- The school Secretary forwards emails to all Spencer families.
- There is a PTO section each week in the school newsletter.
- The Spencer PTO is on Facebook.
As you can see there are lots and lots of ways to be active in our school. The PTO is here to help coordinate but it is only through the efforts of the entire community that we can make our children's years at Spencer the best they can be.
Contact any Board member if you have questions, ideas or comments.