5th Grade Mathematics/Science/ELA
Welcome to Maltby!!!
We are currently working in Unit 1, Area & Volume, of Everyday Math. Students will review how to interpret parenthesis in mathematical expressions, area and explore the concept of volume. The Unit 1 Parent Letter has been sent home. Please jot a note your child's planner if you wish to receive paper copies of this letter for future Math units. Future parent letters will be sent home electronically. *Note, the Home Link answer key is found on the last page of this parent letter.
Students will engage in STEM Challenges the week of Sept. 3. These challenges will foster collaborative group work in the lab as well as focus on proper Lab Safety practices. Students will also explore the Candle Phenomena as we continue to engage in Lab Safety practices and introduce the Science and Engineering Practices.
Students visited the Media Center for Orientation and checked out a reading book based on individual interest. We have also begun our team read aloud, Restart by Gordon Korman. During our Reading and Writing Workshops, we've focused on the following: selecting Just Right books, why readers abandon books, building a reading muscle, writing responses to our team read aloud and completing our Brown Bag Biography presentations.
5th Grade Camp Ohiyesa...
- Dates: October 23 & 24 departing Maltby ~9:15 am, returning to school ~6:30 pm.
- Cost of camp, $82.00
- Day shifts
- 4 volunteers per teacher/per day
- Parents are able to chaperone for more than one day, however the school will make an effort to assign one shift per family before adding extra shifts.
- Parents are required to complete a background check and be cleared prior to chaperoning camp.
- Little Caesar's Pizza Fundraiser
- Kick Off, Sept. 13, 2019
- Close of pizza sales, September TBD
- Pizza Kit Pick UP, Oct. 10 beginning at 3pm
***Click the Daily Planner Post link to find our daily agenda and homework due dates. Click the My Resources link to view Math Unit Parent Letters and Home Links (answer key).***